Network Function Virtualization for
Value-Added Telecoms Services
Estimated reading time: 24 minutes
- Network function virtualization and automatic lifecycle management have eliminated time-consuming, complicated and expensive proprietary software installations.
- New tools for continuous deployment make it possible to get new features and customizations into the field quickly, without going through three time-consuming phases on development, staging and live systems.
- In this e-book, we explain the following elements of network function virtualization and make recommendations where appropriate:
- ETSI NFV Standard Architecture
- Element Management System
- Network function virtualization infrastructure (NFVI)
- Virtualization Layer, Virtual Machines and Hypervisors
- Virtualized Infrastructure Managers
- VNF Managers
- Artifact Lifecycle Management and CI/CD
- Tools for Monitoring, Logging and Observability of Virtual Network Functions
- Containerization and its Importance in Edge Computing
- In conclusion, we discuss the virtualized implementation of VAS, the associated benefits and a few pitfalls to avoid.